I love mushrooms – button, enoki, maitake, shitake… I love eating them and I also use a lot of mushrooms therapeutically in practice (powdered or encapsulated usually). This is a family favourite recipe that is great for BBQ season (or not).
– 4 portobello mushrooms (destemmed and degilled)
– 1 cup arrabbiata sauce – buy it or make it. I recently got one from the Aurora Farmer’s Market that was fantanstic!
– 1 cup chopped organic spinach
– 1/2 red or white onion (finely chopped)
– ½ bell pepper (chopped… red tastes great in here)
– salt, pepper, onion powder, (1 tsp) nutritional yeast, fresh cilantro
Grill your mushrooms on the BBQ (a few minutes on each side so that they become flatter and the water comes out. You can brush the mushrooms with a bit of oil if you’d like.
If you don’t want to BBQ or don’t have a BBQ, heat your (toaster) oven to 400F and place mushroom on its cap for 10 minutes (preferably on foil or on a baking sheet so that the water from the mushroom doesn’t drip). Get rid of the excess water, flip the mushroom over, and bake on the other side for another 10 minutes.
While the mushroom is cooking, water or oil sautee the onion. Once the onion is fragrant, add the red pepper until fragrant. Add the spinach, sauce, herbs, and spices (to taste). Cook for a few minutes.
Once the mushroom is cooked, fill the cap with sauce, drizzle some all around, and enjoy!